What's new

Broadband Satellite - Hybeam, AVOnline, Tooway......HYLAS

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone heard of or used Hybeam Broadband Satellite? They started down south for rural communities and expanded UK wide. I've just signed my Ma and Pa up to their service as they currently get worse than dial up with BT due to their remote location. This is their better BT speed test. Normally it's a lot, lot worse for ping, download and upload.

Current BT Speeds:

If you are thinking of switching to Hybeam Broadband Satellite then please give them my name as it will benefit us both :) -

hybeam.co.uk | Out of this world satellite broadband - http://www.hybeam.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Paulie

Hey Neal, I am in Borders and have same issue with BT, in fact I have had no broadband service for 2 weeks, since a storm. It stops completely in very warm and very wet weather. Line resistance and distance from exchange are my BT issues. They manage to send me junk mail to sign up for fibre though.....as if! I also found Hybeam and am a bit scared to sign up without reviews. Seems affordable though. I also need to know which satellite they use as I have a line of sight issue. Nothing on their web site on satellite used. Our local landowner, the duke, charges me an annual fee if I have to site the dish on his land/fence post, so knowing the satellite is vital.

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Paulie

I looked online at some of the providers and the money they wanted was extreme. I tried uSwitch and Hybeam came up with good prices so they are due to install the system tomorrow (Monday).

As for the satellite, I forgot the name of it but we had a green line on the test using http://www.dishpointer.com/ which Hybeam (Ashley) told us to use. I'll get the paperwork tomorrow and let you know which satellite to look for.

Their house is sat very low in a valley so we were worried about the hills. However it shows a green and Hybeam have said it does cover the property so I will let you know how we get on. Their engineers are not allowed to leave until they get a clear signal apparently :)

P

Paulie

I'm really curious to know how you get on. Your speed test will be interesting and I am also keen to know how Skype video, VoIP and FaceTime, as well as TV streaming can be used. Feedback suggests they won't work due to latency, but I suspect they might be ok.

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really curious to know how you get on. Your speed test will be interesting and I am also keen to know how Skype video, VoIP and FaceTime, as well as TV streaming can be used. Feedback suggests they won't work due to latency, but I suspect they might be ok.
@Paulie Go to www.dishpointer.com and type in your postcode. In the drop down below your postcode choose the satellite 33.5w HYLAS 1. If you get a green line that means it's good apparently :) I'll do some tests later and let you know how we get on.

P

Paulie

Cheers, that's useful. The west direction is my trouble. I need to figure out if the duke's tree line is less than 19m so that I can possibly put it at my entry gate post, otherwise I need to do Tooway which points 9east at KA sat 9a. The red is my boundary, outside that means permission and charges from the Duke (local money grabber elite).

I'm very interested in your useage experience though! image.jpg

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately the engineer was unable to get a signal from anywhere on the property so no satellite internet here at this time :(

P

Paulie

So, like me you ruled out Hybeam using Hylas 1 at 33.5West because of line of sight. That's the same issue I had but my problem is trees, not hills. I am going to try Tooway as they point East, same as Freesat dish at 9east. Hylas2 looks good for me too though at 31East Eutelsat. I thought Avonline was a bit pricey when I looked. Tooway is £150 install, £65 equipment, £44.95 for 25gb max per month at 22down/6up max. You r deal any good price wise?

At least they all say they will not charge/will fully refund if they can't get line of sight. Phew!

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
Well apparently now the trees are in the way so they are being cut back tomorrow. Engineer getting a signal but not as good as it should be. Engineer coming back in about a weeks time (AVOnline).

They check your property on websites and look at it via Google Street View yet still insist you are covered and will get a good signal. No warnings of issues such as this over the phone when making payment!

P

Paulie

Well, at least that's your logs for winter sorted out! Bargain. I think all these companies struggle with hills and trees. 2d not 3d. It rakes a certain skill and these city based sales youth tend not to have that level of thought and knowledge.

P

Paulie

I've got Briskona coming on 16th September to install Tooway 25GB let's see how that turns out for me.

P

Paulie

Here is my next challenge. As this is a holiday cottage some I the time, I want to give guests a user name and password and limit their allowance. I don't want someone to use the whole 25gb and find that the next guest doubly gets restricted use.

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
You could set restrictions via a wireless router that's connected to the satellite receiver. Hide the satellite receiver away so they can't plug devices in to it directly.

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
Certainly better than BT. Speeds are up and down at this time however:

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pleased to say that they now have fibre from BT! It's finally arrived. The satellite internet was still too slow and the ping was an issue, and greatly affected by the weather. It will be cancelled when the 2 year contract ends soon.