What's new

Should I stay or should I go...

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
Had a great chat with Sky yesterday and got my bill down to £37. Got a phone call later saying they made a mistake, but they did give me £50 credit on my account. My bills around £50 with Fibre Pro, Sky TV Original and PAYG phoneline (We don't use the phoneline and would love to get rid but you need it for your internet apparently - what a load of rubbish it is but I hear the Government has plans to change that).

Should I stay or move to another provider? I'll probably stick with them for now as i've been with them for years, and i've always been happy with the internet and customer service. I don't fancy having further holes drilled in the new home either for another providers installation.

Oh well :)

MBK

Registered
There isnt any mess with most fibre providers anymore, no more of that dedicated modem crap.

I'm with Plusnet at the moment and thanks to some nifty cashback deals it works out about £28 a month for 80/20 fibre and line rental over the length of the contract.
They are all pretty much the same service now unless you can get Virgin so just go with whomever gives you the best deals direct or via Quidco etc.

As for the line rental linking bit, I believe the ASA on it is basically it can't be in the fine print so they can no longer advertise £10pcm fibre when its actually £30 after they factor in their line rental or w/e crazy rate they are charging (anyone remember when line rental was the cheaper part of using the internet? :D)

Of course if you want to stick with Sky for your TV rather than switch to say Prime or Netflix (or both, combined they still cost about as much as a TV license does these days rofl) then you may get a better deal sticking with their all in one packages.

Brunlea

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Plusnet at the moment and thanks to some nifty cashback deals it works out about £28 a month for 80/20 fibre and line rental over the length of the contract.
They are all pretty much the same service now unless you can get Virgin so just go with whomever gives you the best deals direct or via Quidco etc.
We're on 75/20 on fibre and one thing I can't fault Sky for is that we always get near enough what they say we are going to get. I'm getting 65/19 on Speedtest at the new home, at the old house we got 75/18 (We aren't as close to the magic box as I was in the old home and this area is a little more built up). I've never had issues with their internet service though over the years. They have given me a deal on the Sky Fibre Pro which should cost £30 but we are paying £20.

As for the line rental linking bit, I believe the ASA on it is basically it can't be in the fine print so they can no longer advertise £10pcm fibre when its actually £30 after they factor in their line rental or w/e crazy rate they are charging (anyone remember when line rental was the cheaper part of using the internet? :D)
I thought they were also looking at ways of getting rid of phone lines if people didn't use or need them :) It's still good though they have to clearly advertise the internet with phone line costs and not add it as small print underneath.

Of course if you want to stick with Sky for your TV rather than switch to say Prime or Netflix (or both, combined they still cost about as much as a TV license does these days rofl) then you may get a better deal sticking with their all in one packages.
I like Sky TV as it just works and is simple to use. We've tried Netflix but we just weren't happy with it - Poor movies and mainly old stuff, and even the old stuff didn't have much of the good old stuff :D The daughter liked a very small selection of the TV shows on there but that's it, not worth paying for anyway.

IMO Sky is just expensive for their extra packages, such as Sky Movies. I can't see how Sky can charge so much for extra TV packages when they have so many adverts between programs. That is why we are only on their Original TV package as I just wont pay for something if I don't think we are getting a good deal. If they reduced their TV packages we would probably add them as it's nice to just have one provider for everything.

The TV licence is annoying and I know people who refuse to pay it. We pay it as we watch live TV. It's supposed to pay for the BBC to provide ad-free services, but if you use a TV provider such as Virgin or Sky you should get a discount IMO as even though you can watch the BBC, most of the service providers other channels are just packed with ads.

Virgin offered a cracking deal for my Mum recently so when I took Sky with me she moved to them. £45 a month for 6 months on a 12 month contract. 200MB internet, phone line and loads of TV channels - Big Kahuna package or something it's called. They could be an option it Sky don't give me a better deal when their offers end, or even Amazon Prime or a Firestick.