Titanfall

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

J1xx3r

30 May 2012
Gloucester
www.talkgeek.net
Crafted by one of the co-creators of Call of Duty and other key developers behind the Call of Duty franchise, Titanfall is among the most highly anticipated games of 2014, having been shrouded in mystery for nearly three years. The visionaries at Respawn have drawn inspiration from their proven experience in first-person action gaming, and are building on that pedigree by taking a new approach to game design and creating an all-new universe with Titanfall.

The advanced combat techniques of Titanfall give you the freedom to fight your way as both elite assault Pilot and fast, heavily armored Titan.

"The Titan moves with speed and grace normally reserved for general infantry and handles like an extension of the Pilot himself, holding a weapon in a first-person view." - Game Informer

Introducing the experience that combines fast-paced multiplayer action with the dramatically charged moments of a cinematic universe.

"A next-generation competitive multiplayer title that blurs the lines between traditional online shooters and single-player campaign." - Game Informer

Source http://www.titanfall.com/uk/game-info

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Distorted

hmmm. I think there are AI controlled bots to make up the numbers but I was hoping for larger numbers.

L

LordTHEN

The 6v6 might seem low, but I have played games with large player/ai (bot) teams and the bots involved can really affect gameplay and makes the human element more intense - you make a real difference in what seems like an ongoing war/battle that you are only a small, if vital, part of.

120 players always means that the e-sports will suffer due to the large range of player capabilities, your never really going to have an effective team of 60 people regularly playing, thats where large mmo raids tend to suffer. All 60 players will have trouble playing at full for a full play session, plus the length of an individuals play session will always differ from anothers.

From my perspective, it always takes me a match or 2 to get into full swing of things.

And the match size is important too. For my example I shall just mention Aliens Vs Predator. Brilliant single player game, but that had an attrocious multiplayer element, partly due to needing 2 full teams with a slow matching srvice. When Bots are employed to enrich a multiplayer service, that means you could have 200 elements in a match, up to 6 on either side being players, or perhaps just 4, maybe 5 vs 6, and the match can still go ahead.

In my AvP example, the multiplayer died when gamers couldn't wait any longer to play a game, when you finaly got one, it was over with a single players rage quit. When Bots are employed, this isn't an issue :)

With advances in AI programming in recent years, the need for a flexible approach to multiplayer battle makeups, all I can say is hail the AI's!

What's more, if you have a team of friends, and you just want to practice - then hey presto you got nice game with friends, and no stressing out the pro's your facing while you work out some tactics :)

I'm seriously looking forward to this game, only issue I forsee is when she said "a campaign multiplayer" eewwwww seen that fail every time, even in "Brink".

Even in the Mechwarrior days, I always wanted to play as a troop on the ground, or tank or plane, flying past one of those behemoths, Titanfall looks set to bring that dream a step closer to fruition.

Lets see what 2014 brings these guys :D

LT

14 December 2013
Liverpool
update :

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

According to article it is Xbox One and PC. With a 360 version being developed by someone else. Game uses cloud a bunch apparently.

EDIT: Our resident leaker appears to be claiming it is a 1 year timed exclusive...

Originally Posted by Cartman86

- Xbox One, PC
- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it
- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would be this project or another.
- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
- Campaign Multiplayer, "traditional" multiplayer mode, and a "One-Player Mode".
- Spring 2014 Release Date
- There are a good amount of screens. In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.
- First person shooter
- "Mech" and ground combat
- "Mech's" are called Titans.
- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
- Player characters are called Pilots (male and female)
- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".
- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.
- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
- There are AI enemies on the maps.
- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
- Source gives them 60 fps
- Modified Source - "Rewriting major portions of it".
- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.
- Progression system. No details yet

Originally Posted by chubigans

MORE STUFF
A lot of the article has to do with Respawn's origins, actually.

So here's the exclusivity mention: They thought working on PS4, Xbox One and PC would prove too difficult for a small team, so they decided to focus on one console instead of two. (er...). "Not to say we won't [go multiplatform] in the future, but for our first game we wanted to focus on making the best game we could."

GI points how that the Xbox One has 5GB of GDDR3 ram available to devs, whereas PS4 has 8GB DDR5 ram, and asks if that's a problem for Respawn. He says they're having trouble even using the 5GB efficiently with all the new architecture tricks. (that is to say, even if they had 8GB they wouldn't know how to use it properly at this stage of development)

GI: "What XBox One lacks in RAM, it potentially makes up for in cloud computing." Talks about how the game will have unlimited dedicated servers for the game, offloading "a few dozen AI" and physics, says the game would be impossible without the cloud and wouldn't have attempted it. Still dealing with unfinished hardware and software, so it's "still a little rough going at times."

Originally Posted by Najaf

From the article about Titanfall:

"Thanks to the more open maps, healthy mix of enemy AI and real players, and the ultra-powerful titans, the gameplay loop in Titanfall is more accommodating to newcomers."

"Seeing a match play out on three different player screens in a short demo after the the target gameplay video, the average time of life seems drastically increased over the average Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Halo match."

Going to go dig for other gaming news before it gets yanked.

Originally Posted by chubigans

Spoke too soon, there are screenshots towards the end of the article. Smartglass integration, "some level of" Kinect support, Campaign Multiplayer, Regular Multiplayer, and some one player mode that isn't revealed yet.

Originally Posted by Najaf

From Titanfall article:

"Hulking 24-foot tall mechs concentrate heavy fire on anything that moves while lithe soldiers zip across the map with a swiftness normally reserved for superheroes"

"Legions of AI soldiers pour in and out of buildings on a large-scale battlefield as dropships deliver reinforcements from above"

Weapons of soldiers can vaporize multiple targets at once, but the mechs can repel shots back.

Blurs line between competitive multiplayer and single player.

"The titans move at the speed of a regular soldier in many first person shooters and feature an array of heavy firepower that make them formidable adversaries in open space"

Titans best offense is good defense.

Titans can be player controlled or can be commanded to guard an area or follow you around.

More to come...

http://www.neogaf.com/

14 December 2013
Liverpool
just a update ...

Titanfall developer Respawn Entertainment, has had a rough time of accurately marketing the shooter, given its lack of single-player mode. That’s the claim of producer Drew McCoy, who recently shed some new light on the matter.

It follows uproar around Titanfall’s 12 player cap, something we felt was nothing to worry about.

Now, in a post on NeoGAF, McCoy wrote, “Its actually been really tough trying to accurately market Titanfall. If you look at what we’ve done, its a lot different than what most FPS games do. Without a bunch of highly scripted SP moments to recam from different angles, the usual ‘movie like’ trailer is just about right out.

“Instead, we’ve decided to show unedited gameplay segments that last 3-5 minutes (so far – more footage coming, of course!) to show the “flow” of the game. Starting as a Pilot, taking on AI and other player Pilots, wall running around a Titan, earning your Titan, climbing in, battling other Titans while stomping on humans, ejecting, etc. There’s a huge amount of gameplay mechanics available at any one time, and encompassing them in a few minutes is actually quite hard to do.

“Its also why we took an extremely early pre-alpha build of the game to events like Gamescom, PAX, etc. to let normal dudes hands-on time with the game. There’s no amount of polished marketing that can replace playing the actual game.”

On the whole player count thing, McCoy replied to one forum member, “What about high player counts makes that more fun, though? I honestly want to know, because this kind of stuff is super important and we obsess over it every day.”

We’ve no idea either.

Do you feel you’ve got an accurate view on what Titanfall is, exactly? Could the marketing campaign do better? Let us know below.

link : OXM.