What Tablet Do You Recommend?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
J

js85

I'm looking at getting my dad a new tablet. He has an old Nexus, but he never really loved it. He uses Android as his phone, but it's still sometimes confusing for him. I'm an iOS/OS girl myself, so I was thinking a iPad Mini. He wants to transfer photos easily from his computer (windows) to the tablet, so I was thinking iTunes would be easy enough to teach him. I was also looking at that new Windows tablet that's a "laptop"/tablet. I'm not crazy about the new Windows format but as a tablet it looks pretty sleek.

S

secretlytaco

I would rate the iPad as the best tablet, because they're lightweight, fast, well built, have a lot of apps available, and be easy to use. It should also last a day of use. It also helps if the device has a lot of cases and accessories that would allow me to do more with the device than it can normally, which makes the iPad Air looks like the best tablet for most people.

D

docdhruv

I think the ipad air wins hands down as the best tablet available out there. The key here is the apps and no other operating system has apps customized for its tablets specifically in the volume that apple has been able to achieve. The nexus is a good tablet hardware wise but the software just does not live up to it, thus making it an also ran.

L

Lei

I don't think the iPad is the best (android is better) but the iPad is better for people new to technology, or likes the look better than the actual specs of the tablet. If you want a good one (and the person is tech savvy) get the Microsoft surface or one of the Samsung Galaxy Surface.

S

secretlytaco

I don't think the iPad is the best (android is better) but the iPad is better for people new to technology, or likes the look better than the actual specs of the tablet. If you want a good one (and the person is tech savvy) get the Microsoft surface or one of the Samsung Galaxy Surface.
The problem with the Microsoft Surface, is that it really works better as a laptop than a tablet, even with the newer version. Sure it can run all the PC programs, but none of them are going to be easy to use on a tablet, because they haven't been optimized for the screen size. Same problem for the Galaxy Surface.

I personally use a Nexus 5 as my daily phone, and I'm not going back to iOS for my next phone (unless there's something really nice), but I still have my first gen iPad, in perfect condition, that I use every day. That's over 3 years old, and I don't think any android tablet could ever keep up with that.

M

miloposter

An iPad mini might be the best way to go if you want ease of use and best overall experience. It'll probably last a good while as well. My dad still uses the original iPad, and I have the 3rd generation. It's pretty self explanatory but since you know about ios you might want to go over some easy tips. For example, showing him how to open the control center to change the brightness, double tapping the home screen to change apps. That way he can get the most out of the tablet.

J

js85

The problem with the Microsoft Surface, is that it really works better as a laptop than a tablet, even with the newer version. Sure it can run all the PC programs, but none of them are going to be easy to use on a tablet, because they haven't been optimized for the screen size. Same problem for the Galaxy Surface.

I personally use a Nexus 5 as my daily phone, and I'm not going back to iOS for my next phone (unless there's something really nice), but I still have my first gen iPad, in perfect condition, that I use every day. That's over 3 years old, and I don't think any android tablet could ever keep up with that.
Oh, interesting point about the Surface! I think he would use it as a laptop at times, but definitely wants the functionality of a tablet. I mean, he doesn't do any heavy computing - Facebook, photos, etc. But he could see the potential of bigger apps and get stuck on that issue. Thanks for the input!

J

js85

An iPad mini might be the best way to go if you want ease of use and best overall experience. It'll probably last a good while as well. My dad still uses the original iPad, and I have the 3rd generation. It's pretty self explanatory but since you know about ios you might want to go over some easy tips. For example, showing him how to open the control center to change the brightness, double tapping the home screen to change apps. That way he can get the most out of the tablet.
I agree that iOS is definitely the friendliest. Plus, since I'm most familiar with it, I can answer his questions should they arise. Whenever he has questions with his android devices, I have to play around with it until I understand it, then try to explain it to him. Thanks!

S

secretlytaco

Oh, interesting point about the Surface! I think he would use it as a laptop at times, but definitely wants the functionality of a tablet. I mean, he doesn't do any heavy computing - Facebook, photos, etc. But he could see the potential of bigger apps and get stuck on that issue. Thanks for the input!
I'd still have to recommend the iPad. I still use a first gen, and I'm sure you could pick one up pretty cheap now (although I'd recommend the 3rd gen at least).

MBK

Registered
7 September 2012
depends on the size and budget.

Android:
7" bracket: Nexus 7 or Nvidia Shield (ok its an 8" but still), Tesco Hudl if you are in the UK and want cheap but without compromising (too much) on the spec.
10": Sony or Samsung (Xperia Z2 Tablet and Tab S probably the ones to look for if you dont want to rape your wallet)

Windows:
Any of the Dell range with full fat windows, Venue 8" probably the best priced in here. Toshiba 8" tabs are a viable alternative.

Apple:
Why would you with the quality and superior price flexibility of the Android and Windows offerings now available, a few years ago sure, but now, nah.

Last edited by a moderator: